Thursday

"Norwegian Wood" Song Facts and Interpretation

“Norwegian Wood"
John Lennon: Vocals, acoustic guitar
Paul McCartney: Bass guitar, vocals
George Harrison: Sitar, acoustic guitar
Ringo Starr: Tambourine, maracas, finger cymbals

“Norwegian Wood” was written by mostly John Lennon in February of 1965 and recorded on October 21, 1965. Lennon has remarked that this song was about an affair he had with a journalist. He later admitted to several affairs with women during his marriage with his wife, Cynthia. McCartney contributed to writing the bridges. He has added that the song received its title by the inspiration of the bedroom of a record producer and artist named Pete Asher that was made of Norwegian pinewood, a construction that was popular then.

The instruments in “Norwegian Wood” are fascinating, as the Beatles introduce the Indian sitar, noting to be the first time that that a sitar was used in a Western pop album. The use of the sitar and of John and Paul’s soft, relaxed voices give the listener a very tranquil feeling. The lyrics are also very captivating especially at the end when Lennon sings, “And when I awoke I was alone. This bird had flown, so I lit a fire. Isn't it good Norwegian wood?” These lyrics leave the listener wondering if the bird is the woman with whom Lennon was having an affair, and why he may have lit a fire. Is the fire he sings about literally fire? These lyrics are story-like, as the singer talks the listener through them like as though they are flash backs in his memories.

“Norwegian Wood”

I once had a girl
Or should I say she once had me
She showed me her room
Isn't it good Norwegian wood?

She asked me to stay
And she told me to sit anywhere
So I looked around
And I noticed there wasn't a chair

I sat on a rug biding my time
drinking her wine
We talked until two and then she said
"it's time for bed"

She told me she worked
in the morning and started to laugh
I told her I didn't
and crawled off to sleep in the bath

And when I awoke I was alone
This bird had flown
So I lit a fire
Isn't it good Norwegian wood?

No comments:

Post a Comment